With nearly half of all U.S. moves taking place between June and September, summer is the official moving season for residential services – and the busiest part of the year for household moving.
Although this is a convenient time to relocate—with jobs slowing down, weather getting nicer, and kids out of school—it’s also a time where disreputable moving companies and downright scammers go into overdrive. During busy season, it’s important to be extra-cautious when hiring Chicagoland residential movers.
As always, Boyer-Rosene is here to help! Use our tips below to protect yourself from dishonest moving companies and ensure a successful move this summer.
1. Plan Ahead
During busy season, many Chicago movers have appointments scheduled well in advance and may be booked several weeks out. Don't miss out by not planning accordingly! We’re well into the summer moving season, so don’t wait—get started as soon as possible to reserve your spot.
2. Research Certifications
One of the easiest ways to exclude dishonest moving
companies is to first look for industry certifications. There are many
memberships and affiliations out there, but some of the most important ones
- AMSA: AMSA is the industry’s gold standard for professionalism. Every AMSA member has been background checked and carefully vetted and has pledged to uphold AMSA’s Code of Ethics.
- Van Lines: Working within a reputable van line carries two major benefits. First, it means that the moving company has been evaluated and approved by a trusted third party. Second, the company will have access to a much wider range of resources, equipment, and moving partners than a stand-alone business would.
- Better Business Bureau: BBB accreditation is a mark of quality in any industry, and household moving companies are no different!
3. Check for Awards
Industry certifications are a great starting point, but take it one step further and ask about awards. It’s not easy for a moving company to distinguish themselves among a highly selective group of peers, so a long record of awards is another trustworthy indicator of quality.
At Boyer-Rosene, for instance, we’re not only BBB-accredited, AMSA-certified, and a trusted agent for Bekins Van Lines. Our Bekins movers have also won many awards over recent decades:
- 2006 Bekins “President Club Award”
- 2008 “Business of the Year” by the Bolingbrook Area Chamber of Commerce
- BBB “Complaint Free Business” Since 2011
- 2016 Bekins “Agent of the Year”
- Many Employees Named “Bekins Driver of the Year”
Pro Tip: If a company advertises certifications and awards like these, it’s always a good idea to verify them for yourself. You can directly contact AMSA, the Better Business Bureau, or individual van lines to confirm what any moving company is claiming.
4. Read Reviews
Reviews are another handy way to filter through moving companies in Chicago. Since dishonest companies may purchase reviews in place of doing the work to earn professional certifications, we always recommend looking for AMSA membership and van line affiliation first. Once you’re confident that your movers are certified, then you can dive into their reviews!
At Boyer-Rosene, we have 600+ positive moving company reviews that highlight our:
- Competitive Pricing
- Friendly, Professional Demeanor
- Tidy, Hardworking Crews
- Efficient, Smooth Moving Experiences
- On-Time, Within-Budget Results
5. Get a Moving Consultation
Last but not least, put your Chicagoland full-service movers to the test by scheduling a personalized moving consultation. Be sure to ask questions about scheduling, packing/moving/storage services, price quotes, timeline, and valuation coverage options. If your movers are reputable, you should get straightforward, honest answers that focus more on providing information than pushing a sale.
That’s what we promise at Boyer-Rosene!Whether you need local or long-distance movers in Chicago, we provide upfront moving consultations with no obligation. We’ll help you create a customized moving plan and tell you exactly what to expect. Call our Bekins movers or fill out our form to get started with your move!