Whether you’re moving within the city of Chicago or the surrounding suburbs, your pets are an important part of the move. At Boyer-Rosene Moving & Storage, we have all the best tips for planning ahead. As part of our full-service approach, we provide expert logistics for moving your entire household. Here are three tips you can use to help you plan for moving with your furry family members.
Research How Pet-Friendly Your New Home Is
Pre-planning is a crucial step in the moving process. Research all your local regulations beforehand to avoid surprises during the move. When you move to a new country or even county, you’ll be met with differences in pet regulations. Some helpful information you should gather before the move is:
- Local Vets: Read reviews, calculate the distance from your home, and make sure you know where emergency vet hospitals are.
- Exotic Pet Regulations: Caring for exotic pets is regulated by various jurisdictions. Before you begin your move, you need to make sure you’re following the new rules that are in place for your animal.
- International Moving Restrictions: There are different rules for bringing animals into each country. Check with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to learn more about travel restrictions and quarantine requirements for your pet.
Make Arrangements Ahead of Time
Make sure your pet is comfortable during the move by making moving arrangements ahead of time by:
- Hiring a Trustworthy Pet Sitter: Since moving can be stressful, many people choose to leave their pet with a family member, friend, or specialty pet hotel.
- Safely Wrapping Pet Homes: Does your pet need its own cage, aquarium, terrarium, or habitat? If you hire residential movers, ask them about their fragile item wrapping to ensure their padding or crating options are reliable.
- Finding a Pet Shipping Company: When you travel long distances, it can be helpful to use a pet shipping company that is experienced in safe transportation.
Make Your Pet Comfortable
Moving to a new home creates a lot of tiring changes for your pet. Make sure they have everything they need by having their necessities ready. Before packing away all their items to give to your long-distance movers, pull aside food and toys that will keep them entertained. Some ideas include:
- Enough Food and Water
- Favorite Toys
- Sanitary Supplies
- Comfort Items Like Blankets or Stuffed Animals
Work With a Professional Moving Company for a Smooth Relocation
Boyer-Rosene has been helping Chicago homeowners and businesses move for over 50 years! We professionally wrap and transport all your household items including pet furniture, supplies, and fragile goods. Schedule your free consultation today or fill out our online form for a free moving and storage quote.
Subscribe to Boyer-Rosene Moving & Storage, Inc.'s Blog