8–12 Weeks Before You Move:
- If you own your home, contact your real estate agent to begin the selling process.
- Decide upon your preferred moving dates.
- Research your new community by using on-line moving tools:
- Compare school districts
- Obtain free town/city reports
- Use a salary and mortgage calculator to compare new and old costs of living
- Set up a house-hunting trip to your new town or city.
- Find out if your employer will pay for the move, or will provide you with a lump sum or a direct reimbursement. If so, discuss Bekins' enCompass program.
- Have a garage sale or donate goods you do not wish to take with you. This will help you save costs on the move.
4-8 Weeks Before You Move:
- Contact Boyer-Rosene to schedule a convenient time for a free estimate.
- Purchase/rent your new home; arrange financing; establish close dates.
- Make a list of everyone you need to notify of your move.
- Obtain change of address cards from your local post office.
- Check with your school on transferring your children’s school records.
- Research driver’s license requirements for the state you are moving to.
- Find out from the IRS or your accountant if moving expenses can be tax deductible.
- Contact your insurance agent to discuss your new home's insurance needs.
- Enroll in a new bank in your new city.
- Organize your medical and dental records.
3 Weeks Before You Move:
- Make a decision on whether you will pack your own cartons or if you’d like to utilize a professional packing service.
- Begin the packing process (if you are doing it yourself).
- Compile all important personal records.
- Change your address on credit cards, magazine subscriptions, etc..
- If you have children, arrange for them to be at a babysitter during loading day.
- Arrange to have your utilities disconnected AFTER your move-out day (not before).
- Arrange to connect your utilities at your new home the day BEFORE your scheduled move-in day.
2 Weeks Before You Move:
- Plan to use all the food in your refrigerator and freezer.
- Clean your home and clear your basement and attic.
- Cancel all current delivery services, such as newspapers.
- Dispose of all flammables, cleaners, paints, aerosols, ammunition, etc.
- Transfer all current prescriptions to a local pharmacy near your new home.
- Clear out your safety deposit box.
- Transfer bank accounts.
- Verify that you have packed everything.
- Drain the oil and gasoline from your lawn mower and other power tools if they are to be moved .
One Week Before You Move:
- Confirm your travel arrangements for your family.
- Provide contact phone numbers for your moving agent so you are accessible while in transit.
- Empty and clean your appliances such as your refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, etc.
- Only use the household items that you absolutely need, such as sheets, towels, a few pans and dishes. Make sure everything else is ready to be moved.
- Review all paperwork with your moving van driver.
- Be available to check off inventory of all items moving.
- Once moving van is loaded, double check that nothing was left behind in your old home.
- Make sure your children and pets are not at home so that they do not get in the way of the movers.